Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Kern River Fly Fishing Home Page
Home Help Search Login Register   
Jul 25th, 2014, 1:58am

Visit Kern River Fly Fishing School
California snowpack report Flow reports for Upper and Lower Kern Visit the online fly shop Prepare photos for posting Purchase California fishing license Southern Sierra Fly Fishing Club
Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor Facebook
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fire Burning in GTW (Read 1510 times)
Wildman
Platinum Member

Fire... I Sure Miss
You, Ol' Buddy!

Fire Burning in GTW
Jan 14th, 2014, 7:41pm

For those who find it hard to believe that wild fire could be burning in the middle of January, here is proof.  Where there should be five feet of snow on the ground, there is fire slowly burning.  There have been no lightning strikes recorded for quite some time (over a month) and this fire is being investigated as human caused.  Look to see and smell smoke while fishing in the Kern Valley.

SODA FIRE IN THE GOLDEN TROUT WILDERNESS Springville, Calif., January 14, 2014For Immediate Release. Smoke may be visible high in the Kern drainage from the Soda Fire. This fire is located near Clicks Creek (one mile west of Gray Meadow) approximately 10 miles northeast of Camp Nelson within the Golden Trout Wilderness. This area is managed by the Western Divide Ranger District of the Sequoia National Forest, and Forest Service (FS) personnel are responding to the incident. Firefighters investigated smoke seen on a forest-monitoring webcam this morning and found the fire burning at an initial 10 acres in size. It is burning in shrubs, needle-cast, and dead-and-down materials. Many areas near the fire are covered in snow especially in drainage-bottoms shaded from the sun. Despite the patchy snow, the fire is spreading at a slow to moderate rate; but no structures are threatened and no evacuations are necessary at this time. FS fire management is currently investigating this remote fire by aircraft to determine the best tactics to use in fighting the fire. Strategies for dealing with the fire will consider firefighter and public safety, protection of property as well as cost management. A fire investigator has also been assigned to determine the cause of the fire. It is anticipated that smoke from the Soda Fire will be settling into the wilderness valleys in the late evening and early morning, based upon known inversion patterns. Additionally, down canyon winds in the evenings may push the smoke down the drainage. As the day warms and the inversion breaks, smoke should lift out of the Little Kern Drainage and be pushed to the northeast.

"Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne
View Profile   IP Logged
Ants
Platinum Member

SSFFC Fly Fishing
Book Afishianado

Re: Fire Burning in GTW
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2014, 8:38pm

Thanks for update.  CA should be green this time of the year, but it certainly isn't.

I remember a brush fire in Havilah during December a year or two ago.  It is just a reminder that there is no safe fire season.

Ants

"Old men should be explorers" T. S. Eliot. Bring along a fly rod for diversions. But, who will admit to being 'old'. Not me.
View Profile   IP Logged
lv2fish
Silver Member

Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2014, 8:26am

Thanks for the update!
It is great to get this kind of insight from an expert (although it can be depressing as well)
This is really scary stuff -  I live in Santa Clarita and we have had at least 3 small fires in the last 3 weeks.
The hills should be greening up by now but there is not even a hint of green.
On the weekends I hike the local fireroads with my golden retriever and everything is dry, brown or dead. Most of the local wildlife that I would often encounter has also disappeared cry

Email View Profile   IP Logged
acorad
Silver Member

Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2014, 9:18am

lv2fish, I had a meeting last night in Santa Clarita and there was a small brush fire on the side of the 5 before the 14 interchange.

lv2fish
Silver Member

Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2014, 8:37am

acorad,
I had not hear about that one!
Saw on the news this morning that we have another one going in Glendora cry

Pray for rain!!!!

browntrouthunter
Silver Member

Reply #5 - Jan 16th, 2014, 9:57am

I fished the upper Kern for a couple hours yesterday and it was very hazy from the smoke, but I didn't have any breathing issues, and I'm pretty sensitive to smoke.

View Profile   IP Logged
BrownBear
Platinum Member

Reply #6 - Jan 16th, 2014, 11:26am

Nasty fire started in the SG's this morning.  Looks like it could go a while and take lots of homes.

fishinXJ
Diamond Member

SSFFC Conservation
Chair, KRFF

Reply #7 - Jan 16th, 2014, 2:25pm

Know that area well, caused by man. Appears fire started near trail by a couple camping spots. Just speculation, but......

Cast It Forward!
lv2fish
Silver Member

Reply #8 - Jan 16th, 2014, 5:34pm

Just read this on a local news site "Nearly 2,000 residents were evacuated and two homes burned in a wildfire that started early Thursday when three people tossed paper into a campfire in the dangerously dry and windy foothills of Southern California's San Gabriel Mountains, authorities said"

I would like to comment but probably would get kicked off the forum Angry

Wildman
Platinum Member

Fire... I Sure Miss
You, Ol' Buddy!

Reply #9 - Jan 18th, 2014, 8:04am

The fire in the GTW is being monitored and allowed to creep around the area that it started.  They do that to allow fires that present no danger of coming out to do the good work that low intensity fire does for the forest floor in cleaning up accumulated debris and fuels.  Should it make a run or grow in size, they will put firefighters on it.  No cause is listed but there hadn't been any lightning in the area for well over  a month.

The Colby Fire is in the heavy mop up stage right now and with the diminishing Santa Ana winds, should not be a factor in eating up more valuable watershed.  The three "transients" were feeding paper to a "warming fire" to keep warm at 3 in the morning, when Santa Ana winds blew sparks into the tinder dry surroundings.  Fire conditions in LA County are mirrored all the way up the state and we will continue to have these fires started by human causes.

View Profile   IP Logged
lqwdhigh

Reply #10 - Jan 18th, 2014, 2:51pm

I thought it smelled like fire up that way yesterday...  Thanks for the update!!

Al

View Profile   IP Logged
Darkshadow
Silver Member

Reply #11 - Jan 21st, 2014, 3:52pm

Quote from lv2fish on Jan 16th, 2014, 5:34pm:

I would like to comment but probably would get kicked off the forum Angry

Aww, you can't say meth heads on this forum?

95% containment as of today for the Colby incident.

lv2fish
Silver Member

Reply #12 - Jan 22nd, 2014, 8:28am

I would have added quite a few more choice expletives!
Good to hear the fire is almost out.

Pray for rain!

Wildman
Platinum Member

Fire... I Sure Miss
You, Ol' Buddy!

Reply #13 - Jan 22nd, 2014, 7:15pm

The Soda Fire is almost 500 acres now and is creeping, burning with low intensity...which is positive for the area as it cleans out the dead debris that has accumulated over the years.  They flew in an investigator which tells me this fire was human caused.  I am guessing that it will be determined to be an illegal campfire from someone who hiked in due to the light snow pack.  We'll see how that pans out when they release his findings.

This coming Spring will more then likely start off with total fire restrictions due to the lack of moisture over the past few years.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print