Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Kern River Fly Fishing Home Page
Home Help Search Login Register   
Nov 1st, 2014, 3:09am

Visit Kern River Fly Fishing School
California snowpack report Flow reports for Upper and Lower Kern Visit the online fly shop Prepare photos for posting Purchase California fishing license Southern Sierra Fly Fishing Club
Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor Facebook
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Fiberglass fly rods (Read 4179 times)
tigermidge
Platinum Member

Hike high Mountains,
fish for wild trout.

Fiberglass fly rods
Jun 7th, 2013, 8:58pm

Ok Who is fishing  fiberglass fly rods and who made them and what Wt. are they??????

Thanks  

Mark F.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ants
Platinum Member

SSFFC Fly Fishing
Book Afishianado

Re: Fiberglass fly rods
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2013, 5:56am

One is an 8' 6" one piece rod.  The blank came from Neal Taylor's estate.  I am happy to report I made it and fish it with a DT-4 Sylk fly line.  It is a nice rod.

The other fiberglass rods are vintage.

Ants

"Old men should be explorers" T. S. Eliot. Bring along a fly rod for diversions. But, who will admit to being 'old'. Not me.
View Profile   IP Logged
fishinXJ
Diamond Member

SSFFC Conservation
Chair, KRFF

Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2013, 6:22am

Pete builds them for a couple companies and will have demo rods with him at today's SSFFC open house in Kernville  

http://www.renaissanceflyrods.com/fiberglass.html

I own a Lamiglas hybrid glass/graphite special edition that's  smooth as silk and also am on the Epic rod waiting list Cool

shane

Cast It Forward!
Email View Profile   IP Logged
one2fish
Platinum Member

FFF CI

Reply #3 - Jun 8th, 2013, 6:55am

I have a Lamiglas 7’ 3wt 3pc honey blank that is a blast to fish on small streams. It is custom made with a Bellinger slide band and burl seat. Here is a photo of Scott with the rod and a nice brown.

Honey, I'm just making a few more casts. If I'm not home in half an hour, read this message again.
View Profile   IP Logged
xbill_y
Diamond Member

Reply #4 - Jun 8th, 2013, 7:47am

Hardy 2wt, Ted Williams 4wt, silex 6 wt.  All good times.

2012 days in the water: 44

View Profile   IP Logged
BrownBear
Platinum Member

Reply #5 - Jun 8th, 2013, 8:16am

Phillipson 7 1/2' 6-weight, Russ Peak 7' 4-weight and 8 1/2' 7-weight, and a stack of old Fenwicks including a 9' 12-weight.  That beast is about as big around as a broomstick at the butt, weighs a ton, and casts like a whip antenna.  Fuggedabout finding double-taper 12-wt lines, but just try to cast a WF with it!  Other than the Peaks, they all cast like "bamboo" and really prefer DT lines, or better yet the Wulff Triangle Taper.  That TT line is the best thing that ever hit glass or bamboo.

Speaking of "bamboo" my prize for fishing is actually graphite rather than bamboo, though you wouldn't know it to look at it or cast it.  I have a Powell 8'6" Hexagraph 2-piece rod labeled 4- to 7-weight.  Walt told me he preferred a 6WT DT on it, but I've settled on a 5WT TT.  The thing casts more like bamboo than bamboo.  Same rods used for the casting in A River Runs Through It. Anyone with a taste for bamboo but living on a "beer" budget, this is probably the rod for you.  Here is a page talking about them.  They spun off from Powell a long time ago.  Haven't dealt with the new company.

bluefish
Platinum Member

Reply #6 - Jun 8th, 2013, 9:54am

BB, Orvis has DT 11's on sale right now. 29.00  I think they use to produce 12's, but I haven't seen them in awhile.
No more glass for me, they went away a long time ago, and I haven't re-acquired....

Charlie

tigermidge
Platinum Member

Hike high Mountains,
fish for wild trout.

Reply #7 - Jun 8th, 2013, 10:19am

WOW lots of good info here.  
So now this brings up the question.
I nymph fish on the owens in the winter with a 6 wt 9 ft. rod.
I was thinking about try a glass rod.
Can you throw a little lead(tin) nymph with a 6 Wt. glass rod?? undecided

Mark F.

View Profile   IP Logged
xbill_y
Diamond Member

Reply #8 - Jun 8th, 2013, 10:26am

Yes... If you want a longer glass rod say..>8 foot.... I would go with a modern rod.   I don't care for long fiberglass rods.  7'6 is about it for me.

View Profile   IP Logged
tigermidge
Platinum Member

Hike high Mountains,
fish for wild trout.

Reply #9 - Jun 8th, 2013, 12:55pm

PS I bought one of the Cabela's  CGR 6'6" 4 wt rod a year ago.
And love to fish the San Gabriel's with it. It roll cast so much better then Carbon fiber rods for small steams.

Mark

View Profile   IP Logged
Platinum Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - Jun 9th, 2013, 9:14am

Hello BrownBear,
  Does your Phillipson have HCH or HDH printed on it and when did you buy it? Early 70s? Chartruse in color? Thx, just wondering I had a similar rod.  209

View Profile   IP Logged
Brian R
Platinum Member

Love to Hunt and
Fish with the kids

Reply #11 - Jun 10th, 2013, 5:00am

Cortand Leon Chandler signature series in 4wt. Lovely casting rod super slow. Having paitence is a must with this rod. Very nice on small dry's

View Profile   IP Logged
BrownBear
Platinum Member

Reply #12 - Jun 10th, 2013, 5:42am

Quote from 209 on Jun 9th, 2013, 9:14am:
Hello BrownBear,
 Does your Phillipson have HCH or HDH printed on it and when did you buy it? Early 70s? Chartruse in color? Thx, just wondering I had a similar rod.  209

I got it in 1969 or 1970 IIRC.   It's tan in color with red wraps., black reel seat and winding check.  The label sezz 3 1/8 oz Line HDH-HDG-#6.  When fishing it, I find it best with the DT line and a master of "smooth" for casts out to about 30'.  But when using a WF it responds better to a #5 rather than #6.  With such a soft rod it's hard to get the line speed needed for a WF line if it gets too heavy, and a #6 (aka HDG) is definitely too heavy. It's a fun little rod that's a dream to cast and fish with the DT line and even better with the Wulff Triangle Taper, but put away any ambitions for long casts!

xbill_y
Diamond Member

Reply #13 - Jun 10th, 2013, 10:43am

I saw on another forum that Reddington is coming out with a fiberglass rod series in the 250.00 price range.  

Interesting for sure... I hope the small hand rolled glass rod builders dont disappear.

Now that the marketing mad men over at Sage (reddington) have their claws into 'glass... Im sure we will see a negative 2  0000 wt slow action galss rod that your grandpa could only dream about.  Youll be bringing large rainbows up to your dry fly with your ability to false cast them into believing there is a hatch going on.  this rod will harkin you back to yester-year when fly fishing was more fun, more fish, bigger fish... yester-year of fly fishing when men wore knickers to the river and racism was the norm.  back to those days gone by where everyone enjoyed fishing more... capture the magic with the "new" re-invented fiberglass fly rods.  This stick is so amazing you might even hear the rocks and under the rocks talk to you.  you must have it.

View Profile   IP Logged
fishinXJ
Diamond Member

SSFFC Conservation
Chair, KRFF

Reply #14 - Jun 10th, 2013, 11:05am

Quote from xbill_y on Jun 10th, 2013, 10:43am:
I saw on another forum that Reddington is coming out with a fiberglass rod series in the 250.00 price range.  

Interesting for sure... I hope the small hand rolled glass rod builders dont disappear.

Now that the marketing mad men over at Sage (reddington) have their claws into 'glass... Im sure we will see a negative 2  0000 wt slow action galss rod that your grandpa could only dream about.  Youll be bringing large rainbows up to your dry fly with your ability to false cast them into believing there is a hatch going on.  this rod will harkin you back to yester-year when fly fishing was more fun, more fish, bigger fish... yester-year of fly fishing when men wore knickers to the river and racism was the norm.  back to those days gone by where everyone enjoyed fishing more... capture the magic with the "new" re-invented fiberglass fly rods.  This stick is so amazing you might even hear the rocks and under the rocks talk to you.  you must have it.

Another attempt by Sage to make a rod that feels like a Winston Grin

shane

Cast It Forward!
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print