Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Kern River Fly Fishing Home Page
Home Help Search Login Register   
Nov 26th, 2014, 2:49am

Visit Kern River Fly Fishing School
California snowpack report Flow reports for Upper and Lower Kern Visit the online fly shop Prepare photos for posting Purchase California fishing license Southern Sierra Fly Fishing Club
Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor Facebook
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rattlesnake Avoidance     (Read 998 times)
OCFlyer

Rattlesnake Avoidance    
May 22nd, 2012, 8:30pm

Iíve seen a few posts recently on this and other forums regarding rattlesnakes and the dangers they present.  This Monday the OC Register ran an article on rattlesnake aversion training for your dog that is being put on with the help of a local scout troop in Rancho Santa Margarita.  The article listed the avoidance classes as being this coming Saturday May 26th and the cost is $60.00 per dog.  I called up to reserve a spot and was told that they were all booked but they were opening up some sessions for Sunday.  I signed up my two dogs.  Itís been 3 years since the last avoidance training with them and thought itís time for a refresher course.  The number listed in the article is (760) 792-2337.

Jack V.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Luke

Re: Rattlesnake Avoidance † †
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2012, 11:11am

My brother lost a dog this past fall to a Rattler bite in the nose.  That being said, our dogs have already gone through that course, well worth the investment in training to keep the pups alive, and safe.

View Profile   IP Logged
Trout Hunter
Platinum Member

Need to go fishin!

Reply #2 - May 24th, 2012, 1:02pm

There is an immunization vacine available for dogs you can ask your vet about.

http://www.redrockbiologics.com/

Joe

So many fish, so little time!
View Profile   IP Logged
Brian R
Platinum Member

Love to Hunt and
Fish with the kids

Reply #3 - May 24th, 2012, 3:14pm

I dothis every year with my dogs. I have 2 Britts now but hve raised Shorthairs and other Pointers in the past. If you are going to do it. Take the extra time to find  snake handler that puts a muzzle on the snakes. I would not pay the extra money if you are going to do the snake in the chicken wire pin. The dogs will smell snake but associate the cages to snakes as well. My oldest Britt when stepping on a Mojave Green with a muzzle was priceless. He was caught completely suprised when the snakes came after and coiled. They zapped the dog and it works. I will do this every year. My dog is better off leash than on now. He tells me when their are snakes. Not just poisioness but all other varieties. Helps alot when doing anything outdoors. It helps you as well. Highly recomended for anyone in California.

View Profile   IP Logged
hoopty

Reply #4 - May 25th, 2012, 7:57pm

I signed up shawna for a refresher on the 31st in yucaipa.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print