Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Kern River Fly Fishing Home Page
Home Help Search Login Register   
Aug 22nd, 2014, 2:36pm

Visit Kern River Fly Fishing School
California snowpack report Flow reports for Upper and Lower Kern Visit the online fly shop Prepare photos for posting Purchase California fishing license Southern Sierra Fly Fishing Club
Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor Facebook
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
East, West (Read 1349 times)
tigermidge
Platinum Member

Hike high Mountains,
fish for wild trout.

East, West
Apr 9th, 2012, 6:33pm

Saturday I decided to try the East fork, After seeing two reports from two weeks earlier.
I found the usual gold miners tearing the place up and less fish then before. This stream is dying. You have to go at least 3 to 4 miles up to find good fish.

This is about all I could find.

SO to cheer myself up I headed to the west fork on Sunday.

And found some nice water to work over.

first fish.

After an hour the sun came out the midges started to fly around so I changed over to dry and caught 10 or so on the Elk hair Caddis.

A nice morning on the little river.

View Profile   IP Logged
Darkshadow
Silver Member

Re: East, West
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2012, 9:38am

Seems like you have to hike past the Bridge To Nowhere to get onto some better waters on the East Fork.

Thanks for the report and the pictures.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Lures to Flies

It's what I do...

Reply #2 - Apr 10th, 2012, 2:52pm

Yea its sad, last time I hiked up there I didnt even see a fish for about 2-3 miles, it was just too silty from all the gold mining. Nice little creekers tho.

View Profile   IP Logged
Rasputinj
Silver Member

Reply #3 - Apr 10th, 2012, 5:07pm

The first place I fished as a kid was East fork in 1975. We only hike 1/4 mile up to get fish. Over the years I would see people gold miners there and I remember in 80's having to go 1 mile up to find fish. I was at the east fork last year the silt was bad there were a ton of gold miners even above Swan Rock. I had to 4 miles before I hit good water. I guess I will be fishing West fork for now on.

Just sad to lose the east fork.

D-Will
Silver Member

Reply #4 - Apr 10th, 2012, 6:24pm

Hey,

My past experience on the EF have been a little different..  

I went to the EF with one of my buddies last Tuesday.  The fishing was excellent, to say the least.  We hiked in about a mile and starting fishing, we were quickly into some coastal rainbows.  We ended up hiking about 4 1/2 mile towards the bridge, fishing along the way, we easily caught 30 trout between the two of us.  I was fishing a simulator, and my friend was fishing a parachute adams.  

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with going during the week.  The weekend seems to have a lot more foot traffic which could scare the fish.

Tight lines,
Derek

View Profile   IP Logged
ryan
Platinum Member

Reply #5 - Apr 11th, 2012, 10:07am

Quote from D-Will on Apr 10th, 2012, 6:24pm:
Hey,

My past experience on the EF have been a little different..

I went to the EF with one of my buddies last Tuesday.  The fishing was excellent, to say the least.  We hiked in about a mile and starting fishing, we were quickly into some coastal rainbows.  We ended up hiking about 4 1/2 mile towards the bridge, fishing along the way, we easily caught 30 trout between the two of us.  I was fishing a simulator, and my friend was fishing a parachute adams.  

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with going during the week.  The weekend seems to have a lot more foot traffic which could scare the fish.

Tight lines,
Derek

Derek,glad to hear you are getting out there and catching fish. We need to go fishing! Smiley
Ryan

"without love in a dream,it will never come true" Robert Hunter
poorflyfan

Reply #6 - Apr 11th, 2012, 9:52pm

Don't give up on the EF.  I was just up there three weeks ago and caught over 20, with the biggest at 9".  It was so fun I never switched from the stimulator I was throwing.  I tend to use the stimulator because it's a lot easier for me to see in those waters.  On this last trip I started well short of my normal grounds - normal meaning starting at "the bird".  This time I began well below and finished there, I was on a half day run and decided to explore some of those clear "empty" pools I've always walked past.  I have to admit, not once did I see a fish but they always managed to bite.

B

FIGHTONSC

Reply #7 - Apr 12th, 2012, 12:43pm

Poorflyfan,
Rule #1 Always agree with people who say the EF is all silted up due to those evil gold panners and completely void of fish.
Rule #2 Always agree with people when they say that the good fishing does not start till you get above the Narrows or better yet Iron Fork.
Rule #3 Always agree with people when they say the WF is a superior fishery with larger and more robust salmonids.

If you live by those three simple rules we will always have a great and uncrowded fishery to enjoy on the "right side" of the canyon.

Best regards and tight lines,

JR   Grin

tigermidge
Platinum Member

Hike high Mountains,
fish for wild trout.

Reply #8 - Apr 13th, 2012, 8:08am

Finally someone thinks I am alway right!  Grin

MF

View Profile   IP Logged
Loy
Silver Member

Reply #9 - Apr 16th, 2012, 12:54pm

Quote from FIGHTONSC on Apr 12th, 2012, 12:43pm:
Poorflyfan,
Rule #1 Always agree with people who say the EF is all silted up due to those evil gold panners and completely void of fish.
Rule #2 Always agree with people when they say that the good fishing does not start till you get above the Narrows or better yet Iron Fork.
Rule #3 Always agree with people when they say the WF is a superior fishery with larger and more robust salmonids.

If you live by those three simple rules we will always have a great and uncrowded fishery to enjoy on the "right side" of the canyon.

Best regards and tight lines,

JR   Grin

I WHOLE HEARTEDLY AGREE!!!  A friend of mine who also gold mines up there showed me very large trout that most people aren't willing to hike to. That being said. I have been going up here since the very earlly '70s....even during the stocking years the best trouts are up above the "bridge to nowhere".

Loy
Email View Profile casfb   IP Logged
poorflyfan

Reply #10 - Apr 18th, 2012, 4:17pm

Soooooo confused! For some reason I thought we were talking about the east Walker!

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print