Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Kern River Fly Fishing Home Page
Home Help Search Login Register   
Apr 23rd, 2014, 2:47pm

Visit Kern River Fly Fishing School
California snowpack report Flow reports for Upper and Lower Kern Visit the online fly shop Prepare photos for posting Purchase California fishing license Southern Sierra Fly Fishing Club
Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor Facebook
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hot Creek, UO and Snowboarding (Read 588 times)
Rasputinj
Silver Member

Hot Creek, UO and Snowboarding
Mar 23rd, 2012, 9:18pm

I took the wife and daughter to Mammoth to do some snowboarding during my daughter's Spring Break. I fished Monday to Wednesday.

Monday afternoon was on the UO, the warden checked my license and verified I knew the regs after I pulled up. It was 35 degrees in the afternoon, about 6-20 inches of snow on the ground. I fished the area there the UO comes into 1 river and the in area where is splits into 2 creeks. I caught a few smaller fish around 10-12 inches and then finally caught this fish. No fish were rising, all were caught on nymphs. This fish was around 14in.

Tuesday was warmer, there were a a few people fishing the area above the bridge to where the river splits in two, so I fished that section for a few hours. The fish were rising and I dropped my iPhone in mud when taking pictures of first small trout. After that I did not take any pictures caught 7 small trout all 8-12 inches.

Wednesday was even warmer, I decided to try the interpretive center at Hot Creek there were a few people fishing there. I caught 6 fish there. Each fish was on a different fly. I could not match the hatch, I tried everything but an emerger or dry flies size 22. So maybe there were going after emerges, as I did catch 2 fish on drowned dry flies. Fishing there was a humbling experience as I saw a ton of fish, but did not catch that many in the 2 hours I fished. It was windy there also which caused some havoc on my casting at times. It is also harder there as I did not wade so I was not in the best position to get a good drift all of the time, or get to the other side of the creek for a better angle. Here are a few pics. I caught my only Brown trout there. Most of the fish I caught were 10-14 inches and one small brown that was around 8 inches. Here are a few pictures I did take.

Fishing was good, snowboarding was excellent. Great time with Family. I will come back in late spring or summer.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Mission4Fishin
Gold Member

Re: Hot Creek, UO and Snowboarding
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2012, 6:37am

Fishing was good, snowboarding was excellent. Great time with Family.

You can't ask for much more than that!! Great post & pics. I can't wait to get back up there myself.
Bob

View Profile   IP Logged
T.O.gary
Silver Member

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2012, 9:40pm

That was a good idea going to Mammoth for spring break with the family. Something for everyone. And the fish came out to play. You have my head filling with ideas for my own family adventure.

Gary.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
xbill_y
Diamond Member

Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2012, 4:26am

HC can do that to all of us...

2012 days in the water: 44

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print