Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Kern River Fly Fishing Home Page
Home Help Search Login Register   
Apr 24th, 2014, 7:23pm

Visit Kern River Fly Fishing School
California snowpack report Flow reports for Upper and Lower Kern Visit the online fly shop Prepare photos for posting Purchase California fishing license Southern Sierra Fly Fishing Club
Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor Facebook
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sage VPS 5WT (Read 1692 times)
longball
Silver Member

Sage VPS 5WT
Dec 6th, 2010, 11:24pm

Do any of you guys have a sage VPS 5wt? I know it's an older rod but I fished my brothers in New Mexico with dries and thought it was pretty sweet for a light rod. Any advice would be great as I have the chance to buy one cheap.

View Profile   IP Logged
Randy
Platinum Member

I sometimes BITE

Re: Sage VPS 5WT
Reply #1 - Dec 7th, 2010, 8:01am

The VPS is junk Wink Wink, buy it and give me a call. I'll take it off your hands. Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley I have 2 VPS in the 5wt, very nice med. action rod. Enough back bone to throw 15 ft leaders into the wind and soft enough tip to protect 7x tippet. Buy it and if you don't like it I'll buy it from you.  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Laugh and Enjoy

Randy

"If I could stand beside myself, would I see me or maybe someone else".....
Styx
Email View Profile   IP Logged
Platinum Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2010, 8:13am

What idiot uses 7x?   Wink If 6x is long enough it'll suffice. Unless you use #32 midges.  Huh Dude, you're too old for newer gear!  Grin Grin           209

View Profile   IP Logged
Randy
Platinum Member

I sometimes BITE

Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2010, 8:31am

Quote from 209 on Dec 7th, 2010, 8:13am:
What idiot uses 7x?   Wink If 6x is long enough it'll suffice. Unless you use #32 midges.  Huh Dude, you're too old for newer gear!  Grin Grin     209

Your right, just keep using the 6x. It's nice to fish with someone who has nothing else to do but net my fish. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Laugh and Enjoy,

Randy

"If I could stand beside myself, would I see me or maybe someone else".....
Styx
Platinum Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2010, 12:50pm

Hey, be nice. Is that why I never catch anything??  embarrassed  I'll net your 8" trout anytime!   Grin Grin Geez, whup me once and he thinks he's Raider!!   Cool Cool  Oooh low blow............climb above that one Raid#%$ I mean Randy.   Angry Angry                                          209

View Profile   IP Logged
Light Lines

Reply #5 - Dec 9th, 2010, 7:41pm

If I remember correctly, the VPS was essentially a "re-introduction" of Sage's infamous RPL, which at the time was the most popular rod on the market.  With the creation of newer models utilizing higher modulus graphite, the RPL was discontinued and replaced with rods that were more "in".  A number of years later Sage decided to bring back the RPL blank and paired it with a less expensive grade of hardware (cork, guides, etc.) and called the rod the VPS.  I began working in a fly shop shortly after the introduction of the RPL and my stint there carried me well through the era of the VPS.  For the life of me I cannot figure out why the VPS was not more popular than it turned out to be.  The RPL was decommissioned when the popularity of the SP began to boom, but most of our customers still preferred the SP's predecessor.
    At the same time as the VPS, Sage unveiled the VPS Light which was a "re-introduction" of the old Light Line (LL) series.  I think the Light Line rods lasted a season longer than the RPL's, but they too fell to the craze over newer generation graphite.  Despite all the advancements in research, engineering and technology, I still believe the 389LL is one of the top 3 rods ever produced.
   I guess what I'm trying to say is, while it might not utilize cutting-edge technology by today's standards, in it's time the blank used to construct the VPS was without a doubt the best money could buy.  Make the purchase and fish it with pride.  Sage will never make rods like that again.

JP

longball
Silver Member

Reply #6 - Dec 9th, 2010, 9:48pm

I got the rod last night, brand new with warranty card never fished $255 to my door. leaving for the kern @ 6am to try it out. I'm mainly going to use it for dries as I'm building a 5wt vt2 for nymphing. What fly line would you guys suggest for the vps for mostly dry fly fishing?

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print