Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Kern River Fly Fishing Home Page
Home Help Search Login Register   
Oct 20th, 2014, 1:06am

Visit Kern River Fly Fishing School
California snowpack report Flow reports for Upper and Lower Kern Visit the online fly shop Prepare photos for posting Purchase California fishing license Southern Sierra Fly Fishing Club
Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor Facebook
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Backpacking the Upper Kern. (Read 3779 times)
Guero Mochilero

Backpacking the Upper Kern.
Aug 12th, 2008, 9:06pm

I am planning a backpacking trip out of Mineral King up to Franklin Lakes over Franklin Pass and then down to Rattlesnake Creek.  Then it's down Rattlesnake to the Kern River.   I have read that Rattlesnake Creek is a good fly fishing creek and that the Kern River in these parts holds lots of big fish.   Is anyone familiar with these areas.  
Maybe I should reword this to ask is there anyone here with experience in fishing the backcountry and if so what areas do you recommend?

« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2008, 9:01am by Guero Mochilero »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Sasquatch
Platinum Member

Re: Backpacking the Upper Kern.
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2008, 9:53am

Hi Guero,

Welcome to the board!!

Sounds like a dream trip to me, and I am sure there are a few guys on the board that know the area well.
Trouble is, there has been some concern on this forum about 'hot spotting' by those that might bait fish and poach in special 'secret' areas... So those that know might be keeping quiet. I personally am not familiar with your targeted area.

You might try searching the forum by key words for previous posts about the area to see what has been said in the past.

Another recommendation would be to spend some time on the board, get involved, rack up some posts, and basically let folks get to know you before asking for info about wilderness fishing spots. Most, if not all, of the people frequenting this board are extraordinarily free with info. to those that they know to be C&R fly fishers. I recently asked, and was showered with info., about some very special fishing spots by quite a few of the veteran guys on this board... But I've been hanging out here for a while.

Spend some time here, attend the Rendezvous next month, let folks develop a comfort level with you... and I think you'll find that info. will flow a bit more freely.

Good luck!

S

View Profile   IP Logged
xbill_y
Diamond Member

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2008, 10:10am

Man i would love to fish that area - please post some pictures when you get back.

I think many people are worried about this...  

View with caution

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2169517940096533268ixPuVE

Here is a picture I found of rattlesnake creek...  Due to the time of year - I am sure it is running very low - but still worth the hike down to get to the Kern I am sure.  I am sure its a very pretty area.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2926174340096533268AjgKPE

2012 days in the water: 44

View Profile   IP Logged
Brian R
Platinum Member

Love to Hunt and
Fish with the kids

Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2008, 12:29pm

Sent you a PM

View Profile   IP Logged
kg

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2008, 9:32am

Guero,
I have made that trip many times by horseback.  Beautiful country and the fishing is superb.  Franklin lakes has stunted brook trout in it or at least the last time I fished it they where stunted.  Rattlesnake creek has a good population of small trout in it.  But the gem of the trip is the the Funston Meadow are of the Kern where Rattlesnake Creek comes in.  It is a long hike down Rattle Snake to the Kern but if I where making the trip I would spend as much time as I could in Funsten Meadow.  

Beautiful  area and the Kern is a totally different river there.  The river will remind you of a montana, Idaho type river winding its way through Funston Meadow. Alot of sweeping bends with lay downs, nice waist deep runs, cut banks, and all of them hold lots of trout.  And some nice ones also.  It is not at all like the river below the lakes.  Great hooper water and you can catch them on a variety of techiques.  In a days fishing there depending on your skill level you could expect 10 to 20 fish if you are a novice and you can double or triple that if you are more experienced.  I nave never caught anything of 20 inches in this section and most of your fish will be between 10 to 15 inches but you should have opportunities each day for fish in the 18 t0 20 inch range.

Also in the upper Funston Meadow there is a hot spring or at least there used to be.  Very nice if you are on the trial for several days.

I hope you get a chance to see this section of the river most people have never went that high. It is worth it and you will not forget it.

kg

View Profile   IP Logged
WatchinTheWater
Gold Member

...hooked to the
soul I am!

Reply #5 - Aug 16th, 2008, 11:16am

Did that exact route last summer, it was great. Plan on at least two days hike in and out. I spent a night at Franklin Lakes before humping over the pass and then down Rattlesnake Creek to the Kern. There are plenty of Brookies in Franklin Lake and small fish in Rattlesnake Creek. Kern Hot Springs is about four miles up river from Rattlesnake Creek and well worth the time. I fished all day between morning and evening soaks in the hot pool and did not want to leave. There are a lot of through hikers on their way to Whitney but very few people doing any fishing. If your legs are stong and your feet hold up on the steep downhills it will be a trip you will never forget.
WTW
Lots of bears reside in the canyon and a few rattle snakes as well, be carefull.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Guero Mochilero

Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2008, 11:07am

Thank you everyone for all the information.  It is a big help.  I leave on my trip Thursday and come back Monday.  I will take lot's of picture and post a trip report sometime after Monday when I get back.  

Todd Homchick

View Profile   IP Logged
Noreastah

Reply #7 - Aug 19th, 2008, 12:39pm

Sorry to hijack this thread. I wonder if someone could tell me whether the road after the Jbridge is paved up to the sodasprings area? The jetson mobile I drive doesn't have 4WD... Also, is it safe or legal to park the mobile there for a night or two? Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print