Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Kern River Fly Fishing Home Page
Home Help Search Login Register   
Jul 30th, 2014, 12:00am

Visit Kern River Fly Fishing School
California snowpack report Flow reports for Upper and Lower Kern Visit the online fly shop Prepare photos for posting Purchase California fishing license Southern Sierra Fly Fishing Club
Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor Facebook
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Alpers Ranch Sold (Read 11200 times)
haramic
Global Moderator

Fun Times, Always An
Adventure

Alpers Ranch Sold
Dec 6th, 2007, 8:04pm

A co-worker received a letter from Tim Alpers stating the Ranch has been sold to the same people who bought the Arcularius Ranch. †Tim will move his Alpers trout hatchery and will continue to stock the Sierras with his famous trout. †Itís my understanding it didnít make financial sense to bring his ranch cabins to present day building codes and he had a willing buyer. †Itís too bad because I always had a fun time fishing his pond. †

Thanks,
Chiaki

Email View Profile   IP Logged
fflutterffly
Platinum Member

Re: Alpers Ranch Sold
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2007, 8:30pm

It is unfortuneate not just that Alpers will not be available possible but that now we have another 'king' who thinks the water is theirs. I loved the time we went to Alpers with Allen. What an adventure. Chacki caught one fish that dragged him back and forth around the pond and Raider was on fire the whole time. What a great day that was.

" You're as happy as you want to be"
Dan Levin
View Profile fflutterffly   IP Logged
midger
Diamond Member

Nymphs Rule!

Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2007, 8:49pm

Too bad.  I'm sure it will be closed to the public just like Arcularius was.  I used to really enjoy fishing Arcularius back in the late 80s and early and mid 90s.  I guess he with the money names the song, eh?

The worst day of fishing beats the best day of working, and remember, nobody on their death bed wishes they had worked more. Fish, laugh, love!
View Profile   IP Logged
StevenOjai
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2007, 10:02pm

I'm bummed too. I belong to the Murphy Group which has been using the ranch for the opening week for 35 years. We will miss it. (Murphy is buried on Bald Mountain overlooking the ranch)
Regards, Steve

Flyfishing the Sierra- Hatch Charts, Maps, Fly Tying
http://www.flyfishingthesierra.com
Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
fflutterffly
Platinum Member

Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2007, 6:17am

Midge: the rusty will gets the grease. Though it does take money to purchase the oil. If you have enough time, intelligence and backing (read people) such things can be fought and our waters returned to us.  It's happening all around the country in states that have a problem with waters being considered private. we've had this discussion on the forum before and I don't mean to begin it again here, but it can be fought and won.

" You're as happy as you want to be"
Dan Levin
View Profile fflutterffly   IP Logged
Raider
Platinum Member

BORN TO FISH, FORCED
TO WORK!

Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2007, 6:30am

I'll never forget the day spent with my friend Chiaki on Alpers Pond. †Very much fun!!!! †Following Chiaki around that pond while he was fighting a 30+" fish. †After the second lap, I realized I could have just waited for him where we started. †We made another lap just for good measure. †That was a very memorable day, spent with good friends. †Too bad the ranch sold, just another example of progress being a bad thing. † Later, Raider

[

BLUE SKIES & FISHY FLIES
View Profile   IP Logged
Flyjunkie
Diamond Member

Reply #6 - Dec 7th, 2007, 6:45am

Having never been to Alpers ranch, this is a Major Bummer... I understand Tim having to do what he did.. no help from Relatives and the Like...

I'm hoping, against Hope itself, †that the New owner- Who owns Arcularius- would thing to maybe still offer Cabins to the Public on the Alpers ranch.. undecided  
 †  
 † But from what I've heard about these Folks, it probably won't happen... When they bought Arcularius, they basically told Friends of Mine, who'd been going there for years, to stay away and stop calling to see if they could get time along the River... †Angry
 †I've also heard that their brilliant Idea on Arcularius to sell Plots to Mega rich Flyfishers didn't pan out as well as they would have liked... Grin Wink

So Maybe They'll approach Alpers differently, thought I'll not hold my Breath about it or Lose Sleep thinking about it.... Tongue

"..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.." ~~ Hunter S. Thompson
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
midger
Diamond Member

Nymphs Rule!

Reply #7 - Dec 7th, 2007, 7:30am

Actually Dean, the cabins were much nicer at Arc than the Alper's cabins, so I doubt this is an option.  I heard (through a reliable source) that you could still fish the Arc with a guide being hired (son of one of the owners).

Don't get me wrong about the loss of fishing rights.  The rights only existed because the owner of the property allowed them.  This river, if you want to call it that, probably wouldn't fall into the "navigable" category, so I doubt the federal laws would impact it's use.  The owner has the right to use the land as they see fit--I'm a strong proponent of the individual property owner's right to use their property as they see fit as long as it doesn't destroy, damage, or otherwise harm others of their rights to use their property or it doesn't impact waters on the public lands, either forest service or BLM.  Must be my conservative, Idaho ranch upbringing coming out.

I am saddened to lose the opportunity to fish the stream though.  I really didn't mind paying the cabin fees to fish the places.  Often, I'd pay the rent and stay in Mammoth to be closer to restaurants, etc.  I still would if I could.

I wish, at a minimum, they'd, the new owners, consider a rod fee like they do on DuPey, Armstrong, and some of the other Spring Creeks in Montana that run through private property.

I don't know how many are familiar with it, but the original Arcularius plan was to sell off shares of the place allowing cabins to be build on leased land with the owner still owning the land.  Shares were around the $200K range back in the mid 90s.  That didn't fly apparently, the place changed hands, and now we are where we are.  Sad, but that's how ownership goes and if it had been deemed a worthy candidate, I'm sure the Nature Conservancy or some other deep pockets group would have considered buying it like they did Silver Creek acreage in Idaho, or the McCloud river acreage below AhDiNah Campground in California.

Alas, "progress"--t'ain't always what we want.

The worst day of fishing beats the best day of working, and remember, nobody on their death bed wishes they had worked more. Fish, laugh, love!
View Profile   IP Logged
haramic
Global Moderator

Fun Times, Always An
Adventure

Reply #8 - Dec 7th, 2007, 8:27am

Hi Midger,

Iíve heard the same, about the only way to fish Arc is with that certain guide. †My cousin and I talked about booking the guide next year. †If we do, Iíll mention your spring creek rod fee idea. †

Thanks,
Chiaki  

NorcalBob
Platinum Member

I Flyfish For
Everything!

Reply #9 - Dec 7th, 2007, 8:30am

Just remember that it takes two to tango, and in this case there was a willing seller (who obviously was losing money on the ranch since it didn't make business sense to upgrade the cabins on site to code) and a willing buyer (who obviously had the money to afford the ranch). I doubt that Tim had any other offers, and was faced with a difficult choice. Whatever the new owner decides to do with the ranch is his business, and if placing it off limits to the public is their plan, that's their right since they paid a lot of money for the property. I also doubt that any conservation minded organization was interested (and probably wouldn't pay what Tim got) since the Alpers property is not an ecologically sensitive area, it's a ranch. The Nature Conservancy properties on the McCrowded (AKA McCloud) and Silver Creek were not acquired to provide public access for fisherman, they were acquired because they were ecologically significant areas that needed protection. And sorry, rod fees to access the property will never come close to paying for the land, so I don't expect that to happen as their ain't enough money in it.

beachbum
Platinum Member

just one more
cast...

Reply #10 - Dec 7th, 2007, 8:31am

Having had some amazing days on the Arcularius Ranch, I was sad to see it go. When the fish moved up from Crowley it could be epic. It has some nice water on it for sure.

[Set the hook!!
View Profile   IP Logged
DannyMcB
Silver Member

Woo Hoo!!

Reply #11 - Dec 7th, 2007, 10:25am

Hey guys I have a question.  When did the Arcularis's  sell?   One of my best friends lives in Bishop and is great friends with them and whenever I go up he and I get free reighn on the cabin and the river so i always assumed it was thiers and not sold.  No one had to be with us.  Is this the ranch where they keep the cattle?  I dont remember specific directions but remember turning at like a little church or something and then down a dirt road?  I could drive there right now but couldnt tell you how to get there since I was always being "guided" by my friend but was told by Mr Arcularis that I could come back anytime with or without him since he would come up from time to time and we befriended each other.  Also this cabin was right by another property that was bought for a handsome fee then the Alpers was up river of that.  Its been a few years since ive been up there.  Maybe the property in between the arcularis I know and the alpers was Mr arcularis brother who sold?  Im confused can anybody shed some light on this???????  Boy did I have a few great days up there...... that ranch is what MADE me become a Fly flinger

View Profile   IP Logged
Hoppytsw
Silver Member

Reply #12 - Dec 7th, 2007, 6:33pm

Pretty sad new here. †This is really the place that made me fall in love with fly fishing. †Tim Alper is a great fellow, always friendly and happy to take the kids through the hatchery. †May he continue to bring us the big brusers... †Here's some pics from my trip there this year I have been going the last few years with a group in the fall.

My buddy Mark Dufau catching a couple nice ones, first being his personal best. †Steve you should know him as he grew up around the corner from the Murphy's  

My personal best along with my pretty face.

Good luck this weekend, I will be out looking for Daffy and friends.

Tim

fly or die

Reply #13 - Dec 7th, 2007, 8:17pm

sorry to hear about the bad news guys...as for this stupid question, forgive me.....are we talking about the guy who owns the hatchery in kernville. by the way those are some really nice fish.

haramic
Global Moderator

Fun Times, Always An
Adventure

Reply #14 - Dec 7th, 2007, 10:09pm

Hi fly or die,

Tim Alpers was located in the Eastern Sierra on the Upper Owens, in between Mammoth and June Lakes on the east side of 395. †Here's a site with additional information on Alpers Ranch.
http://www.easternsierrabentrods.com/alpers-trout.html

Thanks,
Chiaki

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print